08 March 2018

Driver's License Update

Driver's License Update

(and other administrative details)
A Car I'm Not Driving

Things have been changing rapidly here in administrative France! Last year, to exchange a driver's license, you made an appointment online with your préfecture, took in a pile of documents and copies, and got a récépissé (a receipt that let you continue to drive until either your card came or the récépissé expired). By the time we attempted this feat, it was essentially the same for me, but most other situations (including Rick's) had changed to mailing everything. And waiting. In the dark.

My récépissé expired last week, so I finally made my way in to Montpellier to get an extension. With no instructions available, I decided to go in the morning, and take:
- my current visa/vignette/passport and récépissé for that (yes, everything is in limbo, but with an official ok)
- my driver's license récépissé

I got in the short line, and the fellow told me to get a photocopy of my récépissé, and "give it to his colleague" (somewhere vaguely over there). On earlier trips, I had seen the machines available for this, so quick-stepped it over to them. Hmmm. Out of order! Well, I asked the guards on my way out for help - a short walk later, a nice woman at the tabac charged me 30¢ for a black-and-white copy (when I said it was for the préfecture, she said b&w was fine - and it was). Back at the préfecture, I looked around the driver's license booth; no one there... Back in line, asked the same fellow what to do - he clarified - stand in the loooong line, and give it to them there. Ugh.

Well, by 10:30, they had taken my photocopy. No stamps, signatures, receipts, nothing!? Since now another agency takes care of these, they will send my copy to them, and they will mail me an extension :-\ Meanwhile, I can still drive. Could I have simply mailed it to them myself? Who knows? But probably not.

Since I was there... (I'm a great fan of that) I asked a few more questions.

First, I asked what to do about Rick's license. She said to write them a letter, giving the driver's license information and the date we mailed it, and ask for a response. They would either send a license or ask for more documents. Meanwhile, he can keep driving.

Next, I asked about my carte de séjour (residence card). I had seen the sign that said "no more tickets for récépissés this morning" and thought, uh oh! what are the real rules? Well, she very kindly checked on my status - no, my dossier was not ready yet. Further, she said:
- if I haven't received an sms/text within 5 days of the expiration date on my carte de séjour récépissé, then come in any morning except Wednesday to get an extension. I need to bring my original passport/visa/vignette and récépissé, and another photo (fortunately, I still have a few left), but no photocopies are needed.
- I cannot travel on the expired récépissé, but can travel using my passport/visa/vignette, and a new récépissé. (she checked, just to make sure)
- to make sure I get one of the 40 daily tickets, I should be at the préfecture at 8:00 am. By 9:00, they're all gone. Then we laughed, because by then, something else will have changed...

By 11:00, I had said goodbye to the guards, and was looking for a train home! If I think about it too much, I could get really irritated that I spent all morning (not to mention a train trip) to put one photocopy on a pile. But I did also get some good advice!

~~~
A had-to-laugh update: I just reread my post on getting my Costa Rica license (here) - the process was night and day!

No comments: